Thursday, June 5, 2008

Summer's Here!

Today is the last day of school and the community of Dixon is about to change in so many ways. It's not officially the start of summer yet, but when school's out, the feeling is all the same. Sleeping in, swimming, shopping, movies, sleep-overs... our kids think they deserve something new and special every day - just because IT'S SUMMER! Of course, they're kids, and in some ways, I guess they're right. We just have to keep reminding them that their responsibilities haven't gone away all together just because it's light outside longer and they don't have homework.
I must admit, I'm a summer time fan myself and look forward to time off with the kids and opportunities to relax. Unfortunately, sometimes that thinking can sink into my habits at church and in my relationship with God.
So this is the challenge. Just because it's summer and my schedule's changing a bit, does it mean I don't have to make church a priority? Do I get to take a summer break from reading my Bible and prayer? Do I still have to minister to those who interrupt my day and have needs to be met? These questions may seem silly, but they're not too far off from the way we justify "taking a break" from our relationship with God when our schedule changes. It may not be intentional, but just like a kid, we shy away from our commitments to the things that matter most.
I encourage you to train your mind to think differently this summer. This is a time to enjoy all the best parts of life that God has to offer. We can soak up extra time with family and friends, savor all the ice cream we can eat, and yet still keep our commitment to serving Jesus just like we do throughout the rest of the year. So enjoy your fun in the sun and don't forget to thank Jesus for all that summer has to offer!

No comments: