Thursday, July 3, 2008

My Mouth is a Mirror

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." Matt. 12:34

Day 1 of this week's Conversation Peace devotional cuts right to the chase. If my heart is not right with God, the words I speak won't be good ones. My mouth is a reflection of the condition of my heart. Sure, I can hide it at work, with strangers, or with the conversations that don't mean much to me. But when I'm with my family, friends, or the people I love most, they will eventually see the condition of my heart. It's happened so many times before, usually with regret.

If I want to show people that I love the Lord and I'm serving Him, I need to make sure my heart is right with God. I'm not talking about going to church, doing nice things, or giving to a good cause. Have you started a true, deep, meaningful relationship with Jesus? If so, are you cultivating that relationship with him and doing your part to see that it grows and doesn't become stagnant? If not, I would LOVE to show you how, or you can talk with your pastor or another Christian friend today! When your heart is in a right relationship with Jesus, your mouth can't help but overflow with the joy you have inside!

Does it mean I'll never struggle with inappropriate speech? Unfortunately, no. However, my relationship with Jesus will guide me toward productive growth even through the times I screw up. I'm so thankful for God's forgiveness! Like it or not, my mouth is a mirror. I need to let God work in me so that the reflection I give is His!

No comments: