Friday, September 26, 2008

Overworked and Underpaid?

Do you sometimes feel like you're stuck living a life that doesn't matter?  
You may be working day-after-day in a job where you don't feel appreciated.  You have a boss who doesn't care about your circumstances.  You work harder than anyone else around you, yet others are praised and you are ignored.  You're taking care of an aging parent and your siblings won't compromise or help in any way.  Maybe your role as a wife or mother feels empty and meaningless.  Your husband wants a "thank you" for taking out the trash once a month, but do you ever get thanked for cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, serving as the tutor, nurse, taxi driver, counselor, and more EVERY DAY?  Wow!  It can all be so overwhelming.  What does God's Word have to say about the way you serve and the reward you deserve?  I've continued my focus on Colossians recently and ran across this very issue.

Servants, do what you're told by your earthly masters. And don't just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you'll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you're serving is Christ.  Colossians 3:22-25

We don't work for our boss.  We don't work for our husband.  We don't work for our family, church, or community.  We work for our heavenly master, God, who is always true to His promises.  I'm encouraged to know that I can - and should - give the best I have to offer in everything I do.  At work, at home, in my relationships, I will commit to giving my best.  I may not receive an earthly reward or the thanks and encouragement I think I deserve.  I'm comforted to know that one day, I'll be paid in full when I inherit my eternal reward.  In fact, it feels good to know that my work is way more important than I ever thought before.  It's a work for Christ.

No comments: