Friday, August 15, 2008

Peer Pressure at Church?

Our family went shopping for school supplies last weekend and a few new clothes for the first day. Isaiah especially wanted a backpack and t-shirt from "Tilly's", a high-priced department store that all the kids at school are talking about. As most families do, we live on a budget. So, we explained to Isaiah that we were willing to pay a specific amount for the necessities, and if he wanted anything at a higher price, he could use his allowance to buy it. He decided to give 3 weeks of savings to get the coolest backpack he could find.

Yes - school is back in session and everything that goes along with it! For some, that means new friendships, lots of homework, learning and growing... but for others, it means peer pressure, frustration, and a need to fit in. A couple of days after this new purchase, Isaiah told me that a certain "cool kid" wanted to hang out with him and that along with his new t-shirt and backpack, he was probably going to be more popular now. It's amazing how the need to belong is part of our nature. Unfortunately, it doesn't always go away when we enter adult-hood.

How do you think this correlates with guests who come to visit Living Hope Church for the first time? Do you think they have the same set of feelings? Can you imagine some of their thoughts?
Am I dressed okay? Will I know the songs they sing? Will I have to talk in front of anyone or will they ask me questions about my life? I wonder if they know about my past? If they really knew me, they wouldn't accept me.

Of course, Jeff and I spoke with Isaiah about his true identity being in Jesus and reminded him that we need not care so much what others think. We don't want to live under the weight of always trying to please other people. But even as an adult or a person who seems outgoing and carefree, a visit to church can be a scary or uncomfortable thing. What can we do to make our church a place that is comfortable for everyone? We want to create an environment where people feel loved and accepted, regardless of their circumstances. How would God have us handle this? From a friendly smile and directions to the nursery to an invitation to sit with you, there are many ways we can show we care and accept all the people in our community.

I would love your thoughts and ideas. What can WE, as Girlfriends, do to make a difference? Click on comments below and let me know what you think!

No comments: